Thursday, January 22, 2015

Post #3 Amelia Mix

Options:
1. Anon: Missa Quem Malignus Spiritus - 5. Agnus Dei Andrew Kirkman: The Binchois Consort Music For Henry V & The House Of Lancaster
2. Marion's Theme- John Williams--Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Disrupted Original-The Orange Box(Original Soundtrack)
4. Right in the Night-Jam&Spoon--Everybody Dance Now
5. Tres Gotas de Agua Bendita-Amelia Mix

Well, this will be the first mix I talk about even though iTunes appears to be slightly obsessed with my collection of period music.  This mix was given to me by my wifelet Amelia back when we were first dating.  It's got some great tracks with some fancy variety and still reminds me of the time when I listened to it a lot.  This is going to get a little autobiographical here, so bear with me.   


So Amelia and I met at a friend's birthday party right at the beginning of July and started dating about a month later after hanging out a few times and finding each other's company pleasant.  At the time, Amelia was planning on moving to Mexico for a while.  She had a few leads and while things were nice, it wasn't a situation where I felt I could demand she remain in Bloomington with minimal prospects just because I was a cool dude.  But she left me a mix tape. Well, a collection of mp3s, but it amounted to the same.  

So, let me talk about mix tapes, though I worry I'll morph into Rob from High Fidelity, so bear with me.  Mix Tapes are a complex art.  You have to balance a few themes, vary fast and slow songs, and often, as in the case with mixes made for romantic purposes, have to be sure to not come on too strong or too weak.  

However, presaging my wife's perceptive nature towards metanarrative, she included a song that covers this entirely.

So I had a decent sense of the meaning of the mix.

But overall, it was a pretty good mix.  She started well, "Under Pressure" and dipped into a few fun things like the Amelie soundtrack and the Beatles.  All in all, she impressed me with her selections.  Nickel Creek's cover of Pavement's "Spit on a Stranger", Tori Amos' "Sorta Fairytale"(I'm not much on her later albums, but this track is nice), and introduced me to Carbon Leaf, a nice alt-country indie group that impressed me.  When she wrapped with "Shoot the Moon" by Norah Jones I had a feeling we might make a run at things.

And that's what made it a good mix.  She wanted to say to me that she liked me.  She wanted to impress me with her taste in music.  And she wanted to tell me she was a quirky person.  And it worked.  I listened to the mix a lot while she was living and working down in Mexico.  And when she came back, we kept dating and got married.  So pardon the sappiness, but I still love this mix.

Recommended Context for Listening: When you miss Amelia because she's in Mexico

What Playlists has this made it onto? Spit on a Stranger has made it onto my all covers list

Who Should Buy This Album? nobody, it's a personal mix. Though I recommend checking out Carbon Leaf

No comments:

Post a Comment